GenScriber is designed to be intuitive and easy to use. The interface is comprised of several resizable windows within a single main window. A register image can be viewed in the top window while data is input in the bottom window.
The data input area uses a spreadsheet style grid, but GenScriber is not a spreadsheet.
GenScriber is a stable, non-volatile data input application, designed for a specific purpose.
The problems associated with using spreadsheets for genealogical data input do not apply here. All cell inputs are alphanumeric. No assumptions are made about the data type. Dates and values remain exactly as you entered them.
- Data (worksheet) files are always csv.
- Tabulated data (spreadsheet style) format with fulltext field option.
- GenScriber will read csv files with field separators of comma, semicolon, or tab.
- Support for FreeBMD, FreeREG, and FreeCEN file formats.
- Import/Export for many different file formats, including xls and ods.
- Easy copy webpage data with Special Paste filters.
- Image files may be jpg, png, bmp, tif, gif or pdf.
- Images may be negated, grayscaled, zoomed and rotated, with adjustments for contrast, sharpness and tint.
- Split window system to allow easy positioning of image and worksheet.
- Language support.
- Simple template system.
- Scripting language for advanced users.
GenScriber is free for private non-commercial use.
Versions for Linux and Windows are currently available.
Linux users don't forget, after download you will need to set execute permissions on the downloaded file.
If you have questions please email me email@example.com