GenScriber is a transcription editor for census records, church records, birth, marriage ,baptisms, burials, index records etc.Please note: GenScriber does NOT automagically convert images into text. It is NOT OCR software
GenScriber is designed to be intuitive and easy to use. The interface is comprised of several resizable windows within a single main window. A register image can be viewed in the top window while data is input in the bottom window.
The data input area uses a spreadsheet style grid, but GenScriber is not a spreadsheet.
GenScriber is a stable, non-volatile data input application, designed for a specific purpose.
The problems associated with using spreadsheets for genealogical data input do not apply here. All cell inputs are alphanumeric. No assumptions are made about the data type. Dates and values are not automatically modified to some alien value you didn't want.
Unless you specify a special action on a column, all data input remains exactly as you entered it.
- Data (worksheet) files are always csv.
- Tabulated data (spreadsheet style) format with fulltext field option.
- GenScriber will read csv files with field separators of comma, semicolon, or tab.
- Import/Export for FreeBMD, FreeREG, and FreeCEN file formats.
- Image files may be jpg, png, bmp, tif, gif or pdf.
- Images may be negated, grayscaled, zoomed and rotated, with adjustments for contrast, sharpness and tint.
- Split window system to allow easy positioning of image and worksheet.
- Language support.
- Simple template system.
- Scripting language for advanced users.
GenScriber is free for private and none commercial use.
It requires no installation. Versions for Linux and Windows are currently available.
If the GenScriber application is all you want, it can be downloaded via the links below.
If you want to be able to access the forums, free apps and free resources, you need to join the forum.
Registration is free. All the apps are free. There is no advertising.
Linux users don't forget, after download you will need to set execute permissions on the downloaded file.
If you have questions please post on the forum or email me.